NWSC Visitor Center: All ages welcome!
The Visitor Center at the NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center (NWSC) in Cheyenne, Wyoming, offers informative tours and exhibits about weather, climate, supercomputing, and the broad spectrum of atmospheric research at a world-class science laboratory.
Learn about current Earth system science research spanning our planet's changing climate to the genesis of severe weather phenomena. Find out about computational science and see one of the fastest supercomputers in existence today.
A virtual field trip may be a great option for remote students to learn about Wyoming's supercomputer. The virtual tour is conducted via Google Meet link, which joins your classroom to our docent in a live video tour. Simply click a link to join the video call.
Technology requirements: Chrome browser, webcam, speakers, internet.
Want to see a supercomputer up close? Our docent provides a personalized tour to our supercomputer and the facility that keeps it running smoothly. You must be 14 years or older to attend a guided tour. Tours may last from 45-90 minutes and require continuous standing and walking, including several flights of stairs. Appropriate attire and footwear are required to tour the facility; no open-toed shoes or high heels. Maximum tour size is 60 individuals.
We offer private, guided tours at a date and time convenient for your group. Please review the following information and choose an option that best fits your interests, then use this form to schedule a tour.
Student or youth group
Field trips to the NWSC are available to school, camp, club, homeschool and other youth groups Monday through Friday throughout the year. The typical field trip includes a short tour into the supercomputer room (provided the attendees are 14 years of age or older) followed by exploring the interactive exhibits on your own in the Visitor Center.
In the event your group is younger than 14 years old, our docent may be able to provide a presentation to compliment the hands-on exhibits and science activities. Our goal is to meaningfully engage students in science learning.
Private tours are perfect for business groups, community organizations, and other non-school specific groups. Private tours can be arranged Monday through Friday throughout the year. The Visitor Center contains a self-guided tour of interactive exhibits, which is generally not staffed, in addition to a docent-led tour of the facility. While people of all ages are welcome to explore the Visitor Center, a guided tour into the supercomputer room requires the attendees to be 14 years of age or older.
To cancel a confirmed field trip, please contact the scheduler at least two weeks before your confirmed date.
- Stay with your assigned students at all times. Make sure that they know this expectation as well.
- Instruct all your students to go immediately to the NWSC Security Desk if lost or separated from the group. The security staff will ensure they are escorted back to your group promptly.
- Students in middle school or younger are to be escorted to the restrooms.
- Please turn off or mute your cell phone during the field trip as a courtesy to the NWSC staff.
- Please help students use the NWSC’s recycling and trash bins.
- Please model respectful behavior.
- Enter the building quietly and wait while your teacher or event leader signs in with the security staff.
- Because the NWSC is a place of business, please use inside voices at all times both inside and outside the facility.
- Always walk while inside the facility.
- Stay with your chaperone and group throughout the visit. If you are separated from your group, please go immediately to the NWSC Security Desk.
- No climbing, running, jumping, or playing on the exhibits or benches.
- The facility is a smoke-free and vape-free environment.
- The facility is under surveillance.
- The NWSC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- The NWSC is not responsible for damage to vehicles in the parking lot.