How to apply
Preparing to apply | References | Submitting
Review this page thoroughly before applying, and follow instructions carefully as you prepare your application. Reach out to your references early in the process to give them ample time to respond, as noted in more detail below.
We are planning for an in-person internship program in 2023 although everything is bound by local safety and health regulations due to COVID-19. In 2022, we held a hybrid program with interns coming on-site to our Boulder, Colorado, campuses. In 2021 and 2020, our entire program was a completely remote internship program.
Preparing to apply
- Review Eligibility & Benefits to confirm that you are eligible.
- Read through 2023 Technical Projects or CODE Intern to find one or two opportunities that match your interests.
- Get an unofficial transcript or transcripts from your college or university. Graduate students should include both their undergraduate and graduate transcripts. You can likely download these free from your school's student portal.
- Update your resume/CV. When you upload the file, the system will scan it and autofill the information about prior jobs. You must have at least one prior job but do not need to list all of them.
- Write a one-page personal statement that clearly addresses each of the following topics. (Use 1-inch margins and a font no smaller than 11 points.) If you are applying for more than one opportunity, write a separate personal statement for each.
- NCAR and SIParCS embrace a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and equitable. SIParCS is dedicated to enhancing the diversity of future high performance computing and scientific communities and sharing our science with a broader audience. Describe how you, based on your personal background and life experiences (including social, cultural, familial, educational, leadership or future plans, or other opportunities or challenges) will contribute to this community during and after participation in SIParCS.
- Why you are interested in your chosen project.
- Your technical interests and skills that are not covered in your resume, CV, or transcript.
- How this program addresses your educational and career goals.
- What you expect to gain from participating in this program.
Identifying and contacting references
Request letters of recommendation early so you can submit your references’ contact information by January 17, 2023 (extended from January 13). If the information is not submitted by then, your application will be considered incomplete.
Reach out to two people who can speak to your academic work and/or work ethic and ask if they are willing to serve as references. Academics-related references are preferred. Here is some guidance to review before you reach out.
As soon as you have identified two willing references, submit their contact information using this form. Do this before you submit your application. Your references will automatically receive an email from a “ucar.edu” email address with directions for how to submit a letter of reference.
- Follow up with your references to see if they received our email. Ask them to check their spam folder if they haven’t seen the email.
- Follow-up again to see if your references submitted letters. The deadline for them to do so is 5 p.m. MST on January 25, 2023.
Submitting your application
Combine your personal statement, resume/CV, and transcript(s) into a single PDF document for each project of interest.
Name the PDF using this format: LastName_FirstName_ProjectNumber
Examples: Hopper_Grace_Project5.pdf (or Hopper_Grace_CODE.pdf if applying to the CODE position.)
Select the appropriate online application form below to submit your application. If you are applying for two projects, have the application materials ready for both of them. You will be able to submit them at the same time.
- Undergraduate Application
- Graduate Application
- CISL Outreach, Diversity, Education Intern Application
Desired salary: The hourly compensation for these internship positions has not been determined. Because it is not open to negotiation, you can respond "N/A" to the question about this on the application form.