Eligibility and benefits
Applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. university and available 40 hours per week from May 16-July 29, 2022 (tentative dates).
Applicants must also be authorized to work in the United States. For F visa students accepted by the program, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization issued through a U.S. Designated School Official (DSO) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) issued through both a DSO and the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) will be required. International students at U.S. universities are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Undergraduates completing their sophomore year or higher are eligible, as are seniors who are graduating in December 2022 if they are enrolling in graduate school.
Seniors graduating in May or June 2022 who are enrolling in graduate programs for Fall 2022 are eligible for graduate positions. Please mention this in your personal statement. (Seniors graduating in May or June 2022 who are NOT enrolling in graduate school are ineligible.)
Graduate students who are continuing in graduate programs for Fall 2022 are eligible. Undergraduate seniors graduating in May or June 2022 are eligible for graduate positions if they are enrolling in graduate programs for Fall 2022. Please mention this in your personal statement.
As required by Executive Order 14042, all federal contractor employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. Effective immediately, UCAR requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated prior to entering on duty, subject to such exceptions as required by law.
If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by December 8, 2021, or before appointment or onboarding with UCAR, if after December 8, 2021. UCAR will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of UCAR a legally required exception from this requirement.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of peers
- Skill in the use of software for communication purposes (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email)
- Ability and willingness to learn and use scientific computing tools and programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Basic problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and draw conclusions
- Potential to excel in a scientific career
- Basic knowledge of mathematics, computer science or engineering - through coursework
- Ability to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the summer program
- Ability to interact with mentors & peers in a manner to support collaboration and inquiry
- Ability and willingness to work within guidelines and policies of organization and assigned work groups
Interns are paid a competitive hourly wage. Hourly rates for 2022 are $18.53 for undergraduates and $24.51 for graduate students.
- Housing with your own room and shared bathroom. (If changing to a virtual program becomes necessary, participants will receive a living stipend for their participation in lieu of housing.
- Travel funding to and from Boulder from your home university.
- Regional Transportation District (RTD) EcoPass for travel within the Boulder/Denver metro area.
- Professional development workshops during the summer and opportunities for funding as an alum.
- Networking opportunities with professionals and other interns.
Participants are expected to attend technical seminars and skill-enhancing workshops.
Interns will also give an oral presentation of project results, create a scientific poster, and present their work at a poster session.
- January 10, 2022: Application and Submit References' Contact Info deadline (11:59 p.m. MST)
- January 17, 2022: Letters of recommendation due
- Early February 2022: Intern selection begins. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Mid- to late February 2022: Candidate interviews.
- Late February to mid-March: Offers to selected candidates.
- May 14-15, 2022: Move-in day for student housing.
- May 16, 2022: SIParCS program begins.
- May 30, 2022: Memorial Day Holiday, NCAR closed. Unpaid for interns.
- June 20, 2022: Juneteenth Holiday Observed, NCAR closed. Unpaid for interns.
- July 4, 2022: Independence Day Holiday, NCAR closed. Unpaid for interns.
- July 26-July 28, 2022: Intern presentations and poster symposium.
- July 30, 2022: SIParCS program ends, move-out day.