CISL Visitor Program
We accept visitor applications on an ongoing basis, including requests for financially supported virtual visits for students. To apply to the program, the visitor must be hosted by a CISL staff member. For more information, please contact the CISL Visitor Program at email@example.com.
Review the following information carefully and use the form below when you are ready to apply.
CISL regards collaboration with university faculty, practitioners in high-performance computing, new researchers, and students as central to its mission to support the atmospheric and related sciences. As a national center, we depend on a diverse and vigorous visitor program to engage the community and to contribute to our scientific mission.
Scientific and professional visits play a key role in building collaborations among NCAR staff and other researchers, and are also an important component of training students and early career scientists. CISL invites applications for professional collaborations in areas related to the lab’s mission in services, research, and education, including but not limited to:
- Application optimization and development
- Computer networking
- Data assimilation and ensemble prediction
- Data curation and archiving
- Data analytics and machine learning
- High-end computing and storage environments
- High-performance networking
- Facilities engineering and management
- Numerical algorithms and performance optimization
- Scientific visualization
- Weather and climate variability, impact and assessment
CISL receives numerous scientific, technical, and student visitors throughout the year, sometimes providing financial support if needed. CISL accommodates visits for scientists in the geosciences to gain expertise in high performance computing and data analytics.
- Visits must be sponsored by a CISL staff member and have a clear plan for productive interaction. Please note that the CISL Visitor Program is not a "matchmaking" service. Applicants should already have established a relationship and collaborative project with a CISL staff member prior to applying for a visit.
- The program does not support visits based on general interests.
- Visits are expected to last from 2 weeks to a maximum of three months. Requests for shorter or longer time periods will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- For scientific/technical level visitors, financial support is limited to a set living allowance for in-person visits.
- For student visitors, financial support is determined on a case-by-case basis and may include salary support for either in-person or virtual visits. Student funding is intended for specific project work and may not be used to fund a student-assistant type of position.
- The amount of financial support depends on available funds and can only be used towards travel costs and local living expenses. No salary is provided for professional or scientific visitors, however, during the pandemic, we will consider coverage of student hourly wages on a case-by-case basis.
CISL staff who would like to host a visitor outside of the CVP are welcome to invite graduate or undergraduate students, PhD candidates, postdocs, scientific, or technical visitors. Supervisor and division director approval is needed before visitors begin their appointments. Please contact CISL's Visitor Coordinator, Kristi Cain, at firstname.lastname@example.org or use this form to submit a request. The CISL Visitor Coordinator will contact you after receiving the form.